Tuesday, March 28, 2023

The 4 A's of learning

This year we're going the extra mile to connect our book learning with practical models. I wanted to see us put more effort in real world application. I've learned that learning goes beyond literature, knowing how to read well and understanding math. The disconnect I believe many students have is how learning actually matters to them in the real world. So I've added a fourth R to the well known RRR foundation to learning reading, writing, arithmetic, and real world application.

This focus has been refreshing for me as well. I'm a left brain thinker, a heavy book and calculator learner. So grabbing scissors and coffee filters, measuring cups and craft sticks takes intentional processing and implementation. But what I've found is that learning actually is fun. I have to admit, as much as I would have no problem studying a book for hours, forcing myself to sacrifice a day or two as a "pause" in formal learning to make room for our activities has opened up a world of interest for my kids. 

Here's a glimpse in what we've been up to lately:

Heart model


Grocery Store weight (lbs and kg) and banana pudding measurements (fractions, percentages)



Circuits (visual of how messages are sent from our nerves to our brain)







Some of the hands on learning we do is completely random as well. I've made a list of math in action activities to help with our spinal math curriculum, Math U See. I use the language of the curriculum as we build recipes, crafts, and experiments. 

I'm excited to look back at these memories. I don't know where it will all end, but even if it's just providing them an experience they won't forget it will be completely worth it!




0 comments:

Post a Comment