Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Mothers in the Bible: Godly or not?

I want to make a list of mothers found in the Bible. My plan is to slowly but surely study each of them. I enjoyed the Study of Hannah so much that this morning I felt the Holy Spirit weighing heavily on my heart to further study mothers in the Word. Here's a list of some that I have found. Feel free to comment if there are some that I have left out! I would love to add to the list!

1. Mary the mother of Jesus
2. Elizabeth
3. Salome
4. Eunice
5. Lois
6. Hannah
7. Rachel
8. Bathsheba
9. Rebekah
10. Eve
11. Jochebed
12. Sarah
13. Rahab
14. Leah
15. Keturah
16. Jerusha
17. Jedidah
18. Azubah
19. Asenath
20. Adah
21. Abi (Abijah)
22. Ruth
23. Rahab
24.Bilhah
25.Zilpah
26. Naomi

I must confess, this is more difficult than I thought, it's so hard to put every mother on the list because some have some "not so nice" endings. I'm reminding myself that each play a part in the plan and purpose of our Lord. My purpose for studying these women is to get a good view on how they played their part in helping their husbands and rendering up of their children. I want to learn from those examples of godly mothers and wives in scripture but not limit my study to just a few. I pray that God will help me in this process and open my heart to his full word.

Lord I ask today that you will speak to me in your word and grow me closer to your will. I seek you and only you, to you I live my life and walk accordingly in obedience. As a wife, as a mother, I pray that I do my part and trust you for the rest. Today I pray this prayer.

Amen.

1 comments:

Leigh said...

Hi! I was excited to find your blog and find you are following mine. It is really interesting to read about the mothers and families of Scripture - I was just reading a book that mentions families from Scripture as well as missionary families, some that served their families well and some that neglected them. I'm glad for the list you compiled as it would be a great study to go through and note things from each of those women's lives! Look forward to hearing more from you soon.

Post a Comment